As we start to transition from spring to summer, we often begin to clean and organize. One of the most forgotten areas to clean is your mattress. We have a few tips to help you sleep cleaner and healthier.
- Strip the bed linens and wash in hot water to help kill dust mites.
- Vacuum the bed carefully. Vacuum slowly as you are trying to clean all bacteria, dead skins cells, and dust mites (do yourself a favor and don’t google a close up of your mattress!). Use the crevice tool to work along the edges where the material is sewn together. Pay attention to any tufts or sections of the top that are drawn together.
- Use a steamer to help further clean. Do not over saturate and make sure you let dry before covering.
- Inspect the surface for any possible stains. Use a spot cleaner that specializes for any pet stains, avoid over saturation and let dry. For other stains, use a small amount of diluted ammonia and blot the area. Use a damp cloth to rinse and dry. To eliminate the smell of the ammonia, sprinkle with baking soda, let sit, and vacuum.
- Use a disinfecting spray or baking soda to eliminate any odors or freshen between cleanings.
Now that your bed is clean, consider investing in a new mattress protector. A protector serves a couple of purposes. First, it will help keep the mattress free of stains and allergens. Second, many today have the ability to wick away moisture and keep your sleep temperature more consistent helping sleep longer. Check out the selection of protectors we offer from BedGear, they are the leaders in clean sleep options.
As always, if you need to look for a new mattress, consider visiting our Better Sleep Stores inside The Old Brick and try getting mapped on our SleepMapper.