Sleep is certainly something full of mystery especially because we are not awake while we are doing it and we don’t remember most of what happens. The truth about sleep can help you get the best sleep possible. Below is test you can take to test your knowledge of sleep. Let’s see how you do…
- Weekend sleep ins will help you catch up on sleep. True or False? The answer is false. You cannot ever completely make up for sleep you have lost or bank sleep. It is best to plan on getting 8 hours per night.
- You need less sleep as you age. True or False? The answer is false. Although you tend to wake up more through out the night as you get older, you still need the same amount of sleep as you did when you were younger.
- A firm bed is better for a bad back. True or False? The answer is false. The ideal mattress combines good support with comfort as well. To test this theory, try sleeping on the floor for a night as it is the firmest surface you can have!
- A glass of warm milk before bed will help you sleep. True or False? The answer is false. There is no evidence to support this although you may find it comforting if it was something you were given as a child.
- Counting sheep will help you relax and fall asleep faster. True or False? The answer again is false. An Oxford University study showed that this actually lengthens the time that it takes to get to sleep. Try listening to soothing music to disengage the brain and fall asleep faster.
- Alcohol helps you sleep better. True or False? The answer is mostly false. A glass of wine has been shown to help you relax which can be helpful in falling asleep. But too much can be disruptive as alcohol is metabolized throughout the night and reduces REM sleep which is the most productive part of the sleep cycle.
- Eating a turkey dinner makes you sleepy. True or False? The answer here is true but not what you think. Turkey does contain tryptophan which can cause sleepiness, but it doesn’t have more than any other meat. Actually cheddar cheese has more tryptophan if measured gram for gram! A heavy meal coupled with the hard work taken to put the meal together and the interaction with a group of people is more likely to blame for the need to nap.
- Your brain is able to rest during sleep. True or False? The answer is false. The body is able to rest during sleep but the brain remains very active. This is especially true during REM sleep when the brain is able to control all functions of the body as well as recharge.
- Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise. True or False? The answer is false. There is no proof that people who get up early perform better than those who are night owls. In fact, the owl is a perfect example of something that performs better at night than in the morning. The most important factor is to get the proper amount of quality sleep.
- All mattresses are the same as they provide the same service. True or False? The answer is most decidedly false. All mattresses are the same is the same as saying all shoes are the same or all cars are the same. While they do provide the same basic service, the quality of the service and the consistency of the performance can vary drastically.
So how’d you do? Congratulations if you answered them all correctly! If you aren’t getting the best sleep possible, stop in to one of our stores today and we will use our SleepMapper to help find the sleep system for especially for you!